Written, Audio and Video from Dr Demartini
What are the most common causes of feeling flat and lethargic?
Distraction and lack of direction in life- Often people carry around so many tasks in their mind that they think they have to do, should have done, could do etc. The mental energy expended just thinking about this never ending to do list can leave you feeling drained, lethargic and completely overwhelmed. In today’s fast paced world it is essential we learn how to delegate and not try to take responsibility for everything. I suggest putting this imaginary list on paper, reviewing it and then separate what only you can do from what you know you can give to someone else to do. Once you have done this you will not feel as overwhelmed and immediately more motivated.
To paraphrase David Thoreau, most people are living quiet lives of desperation, not invigorating lives of inspiration- not doing what they love nor loving what they do. They aren’t grateful so they are putting on the brakes in life and lacking the energy and vitality to live. The body and mind are inseparable in their interactions. We need to be accountable for how our psychology may be affecting our overall health.
Do we lose our energy as we age? If so, why?
I have come to the conclusion that the level of energy one has in life is not so much connected to age or race as it is to state of mind. Naturally when someone is coming to the end of their life and may be more susceptible to disease, they may not have the same reservoir of energy and vitality as someone in their middle ages. But I have seen human dynamos at age 94 to 99 still out do people half their age. The difference was their attitude and zest for life. They found what they loved to do and they do it.
Who is most at risk of suffering from a lack of energy?
The people who are in the most risk of ‘suffering’ a lack of energy are those who do not feel like they are living purposefully; they feel lost, overwhelmed and out of focus. They are scattered and trying to live other people’s lives. They are the ones also whose diets and lifestyles are also not all that ideal.
Are there any simple solutions?
1. Know where you are going- Your energy soars when you are clear on your aim and direction in life. When your heart and soul are guiding you energy abounds.
2. Delegate low priority actions to those more suited and inspired to do them.
3. Be Thankful- When you are grateful for all that you have rather than dwelling on all that you are lacking, you will discover a very powerful source of energy. Count your blessings daily (Read my earlier book Count Your Blessings – The Healing Power of Gratitude and Love for more insights on the importance of gratitude).
4. Eat Moderately - Many people try to perk themselves up by pigging out but this is definitely not the way to do it. It has actually been shown that if you eat less you have an increase in vitality and overall energy. Biological research also shows people who eat less live longer. Walk away from the table a little less full and you will have a lot more spark to do the things you want to do.
5. Eat wholesome nutritious foods – become aware of what you eat. Be sure to “eat to live” not “live to eat”.
6. Drink Water – lots.
7. Breathe fully and deeply – Use your diaphragm.
8. Connect your vocation with your vacation- If you aren’t doing what you love and loving what you do you have the brake on all the time.
9. Smile- Smiling can change your physiology and make you look up at life.